Following text provided by the architects*
Located at the entrance of the Parc Natural de Garraf, just outside the town of St Pere de Ribes, Can Tomeu is one of the buildings belonging to the Masia Corral d’en Capdet, which was built around the year 1800 for agricultural and stone-crafting purposes. It is a piece of Catalan history and a national monument, meaning that the infrastructure needs to be kept in its original state wherever possible
Can Tomeu was originally intended for the labor force of the larger Masia, which was responsible for the maintenance of the entire finca. With time the abandoned building slowly deteriorated into a ruin, leaving only its bearing walls. Even so, its cataloging as a Cultural Asset of Local Interest (BCIL), required that everything that existed be maintained, that is, walls in very poor condition.
The execution addressed the rehabilitation of the existing construction, allowing the regulations an expansion of 30% of its original volume. Due to the degradation of the building, and the complete disappearance of its roof, the perimeter walls had been collapsing and losing height. The intervention opts to thus recover the original volume and use the 30% expandable volume in the form of annexation.